You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
@henryiii Is there a reason this package isn't published on PyPI? It looks like PyPI has a repo for it, but it has not been updated since 2021. Would it be possible to add API key for the PyPI project to this repo as a secret so we could write a GitHub action to publish the package to PyPI?
+1 on trusted publishing (my bad, forgot they added this)
I think the git install is nice if one wants a bleeding-edge version, but it is convenient to have older versions easily accessible, especially if projects are stuck on an old OS or with an older Python version no longer supported by the newest versions. I'm happy to do the work to create the GitHub action to publish the package if @wjakob can help us set up trusted publising and/or add someone else to the PyPI project who can do it.
Just pinging @wjakob with a gentle reminder about this. We are hoping to set up trusted publishing and/or add someone else to the PyPI project who can do it.
Just pinging @henryiii and @wjakob to see where this landed and find out what else needs to be done. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
@wjakob Excellent, thank you! @henryiii Hopefully this should be sufficient to add the trusted publishing. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with. Thanks!
@henryiii Awesome! I see you've got everything squared away from #58. Would you be okay with publishing a new release, as the version currently on PyPI is from 2021. If so, do you have any opinions on what the new version number should be?
I also see you've got #59 open with some issues Fable found and have already addressed some of them in #60. Happy to wait to publish on PyPI until this is closed or more of the issues in #59 are addressed if you feel they are important.
It would be nice to address them before release, so we can release something stable (though I'm fine either way). Would you have a chance to review? If so, I can address the rest.
RE: version number, what about 3.0? (2.6.2 seems to be the old one).
GitHub Actions is currently really flaky, trying to release pybind11 3.1, but a runner won't pick up the job, so probably best to wait just a tiny bit before releasing anyway.
Sure thing. I've drafted a release in the releases page. I've also bumped the version to 3.0.0. Is there anything else that is needed? If not, please let me know and I'll switch the release from draft to publish.
Activity
henryiii commentedon Dec 3, 2025
Trusted publishing would be better than an API key. ;)
I have no idea if there's a reason, the readme has had instructions for git installs for a while. @wjakob is the sole owner on PyPI.
leakec commentedon Dec 3, 2025
+1 on trusted publishing (my bad, forgot they added this)
I think the
gitinstall is nice if one wants a bleeding-edge version, but it is convenient to have older versions easily accessible, especially if projects are stuck on an old OS or with an older Python version no longer supported by the newest versions. I'm happy to do the work to create the GitHub action to publish the package if @wjakob can help us set up trusted publising and/or add someone else to the PyPI project who can do it.leakec commentedon Apr 10, 2026
Just pinging @wjakob with a gentle reminder about this. We are hoping to set up trusted publishing and/or add someone else to the PyPI project who can do it.
wjakob commentedon Apr 10, 2026
This sounds like a good idea, but I won't get to this any time soon. AFAIK @henryiii has admin access to this repo.
henryiii commentedon Apr 10, 2026
The problem is I don't have access to the project on PyPI. :)
https://pypi.org/project/pybind11_mkdoc/
wjakob commentedon Apr 10, 2026
I invited you.
henryiii commentedon Apr 10, 2026
Thanks! The maintainer role can't add trusted publishing, though. (Or even yank releases).
https://docs.pypi.org/trusted-publishers/adding-a-publisher/
If you want to add it, it's actually quite simple, we could use
cd.ymlfor the workflow andpypifor the environment.leakec commentedon Jul 1, 2026
Just pinging @henryiii and @wjakob to see where this landed and find out what else needs to be done. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
leakec commentedon Aug 3, 2026
Just pinging @henryiii @wjakob to see where this is at and find out what else needs to be done.
wjakob commentedon Aug 4, 2026
I added @henryiii as co-owner.
leakec commentedon Aug 4, 2026
@wjakob Excellent, thank you! @henryiii Hopefully this should be sufficient to add the trusted publishing. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with. Thanks!
henryiii commentedon Aug 5, 2026
I've set up trusted publishing assuming
cd.ymlas the workflow name,pypias the environment (gets created automatically).leakec commentedon Aug 6, 2026
@henryiii Awesome! I see you've got everything squared away from #58. Would you be okay with publishing a new release, as the version currently on PyPI is from 2021. If so, do you have any opinions on what the new version number should be?
I also see you've got #59 open with some issues Fable found and have already addressed some of them in #60. Happy to wait to publish on PyPI until this is closed or more of the issues in #59 are addressed if you feel they are important.
henryiii commentedon Aug 6, 2026
It would be nice to address them before release, so we can release something stable (though I'm fine either way). Would you have a chance to review? If so, I can address the rest.
henryiii commentedon Aug 6, 2026
RE: version number, what about 3.0? (2.6.2 seems to be the old one).
GitHub Actions is currently really flaky, trying to release pybind11 3.1, but a runner won't pick up the job, so probably best to wait just a tiny bit before releasing anyway.
leakec commentedon Aug 6, 2026
Sounds good, I'm fine waiting until we can fix all the issues in #59 to release, no rush from my end. I can review #60 in a few minutes.
Yeah, 3.0 was what I was thinking as well, since there have been a lot of changes since the last release.
henryiii commentedon Aug 14, 2026
Here's a draft changelog, build using Qwen 3.8:27b in OpenCode locally, but then fixed with Claude (Qwen didn't go back far enough).
@leakec Should we put this in repo, or just have it in GH releases?
🤖 AI text below 🤖
Breaking changes
-std=c++17instead of-std=c++11when no standard is specified (feat!: default to -std=c++17 #62).no output file is written for headers that fail to parse (feat: report clang diagnostics and fail on errors #66).
Added
-Ddefinitions.CLANG_INCLUDE_DIRandCPP_INCLUDE_DIRSenvironment variables (add capability to add clang and c++ include dirs via environment variables #12).--widthflag to control the docstring line width.@exceptioncommand (Support doxygen@exceptioncommand #33).@returns,@authors, and@throwscommands.@directive, not just\directive(Support @directive, not just \directive #6).\pas an alias for\c.Changed
EXTRA_ARGSin CMake is now a multi-value argument (fix(cmake): make EXTRA_ARGS a multi-value argument #65).LIBCLANG_PATHin the environment on Linux (allow setting LIBCLANG_PATH in environment on Linux #3).Fixed
object is not found in the default locations.
-Ddefinitions (fix: keep explicit empty value in -D definitions #64).shlex.quote(Remove shlex.quote to fix issues when filenames have spaces #38).@warningand@notecommands (Add doxygen command note and fix warning #35).::, which the section label pattern matched incorrectly.Args.pybind11-mkdocconsole script (Fix generated pybind11-mkdoc console script #20).Performance
ThreadPoolExecutorinextract_all(refactor: use ThreadPoolExecutor in extract_all #60).leakec commentedon Aug 14, 2026
@henryiii Sweet, this looks great! I'm open to either; do you have a preference? Just sticking it in GH releases is probably easiest, right?
henryiii commentedon Aug 14, 2026
Fine to just put it in releases for now. Would you like to make the release?
Bumping version to 3.0. See #50 (comment)
leakec commentedon Aug 14, 2026
Sure thing. I've drafted a release in the releases page. I've also bumped the version to 3.0.0. Is there anything else that is needed? If not, please let me know and I'll switch the release from draft to publish.
henryiii commentedon Aug 14, 2026
I don't think so. Go for it!
leakec commentedon Aug 14, 2026
Excellent, everything worked, and I was able to
pip install pybind11_mkdoc! Thanks a ton for all the work you did for this :)